The selection and the education of the operators is very hard but everyday training is even harder. Indeed, the outcome of Special Operations is based on regular, realistic and high quality training.
Every operator is specialized in an insertion capacity. These insertion techniques are trained during dedicated weeks. This type of training is mainly focused on techniques. In order to train in favorable conditions, those training weeks are conducted abroad were the terrain and the weather are optimal:
- AIR (Very High Altitude jumps, above 4000m): US (Arizona) Portugal, Morocco, Czech Republic
- LAND (mountaineering): France, Italy, Austria
- SEA (diving with air or oxygen): Greece, Netherlands, Corsica, Norway, Curaçao.
- Special Forces Decision Making Process – planning and direction of operations
- Intelligence collection and processing
- Counter Terrorism operations
- Communication and Information Systems
- Advanced emergency medical care for isolated personnel
- Sniper – long distance precision shooting
- Explosives (Breacher) – doors, windows and walls breaching
- Joint Terminal Air Controller – the ability to guide airstrikes from the ground
- Maritime Interdiction Operations – anti-piracy or Opposed Boarding Operations
- ISR drone pilot
- Sensitive Site Exploitation – collect and exploit captured data and equipment
- SF combatives: unarmed combat
- and many more
Beyond their specialties, every operator of the SF Gp has to master some skills that are common to everybody in the unit:
- Basic SOF skills: all that sustains the job of a SOF operator like orienteering, physical endurance, combat shooting, camouflage, observations, etc.
- Military Free Fall: free fall jumps
- Amphibious Surface Insertion: Kayak or snorkeling
- Counter terrorism training (CT): Tactics, techniques and procedures for combat in urbanized areas but with emphasis on Hostage Release Operations (HRO), learned during an in-house CT course.
- Close Protection: protection of (V) VIPs
- High mountains: mainly in French, Swiss, Austrian or Italian Alps
- Arctic: Sweden and Norway
- Urban: Jordan, US and Germany
- Desert: Djibouti
- Plains and temperate forests: West and Central Europe